Sunday, May 3, 2009

Setting up an Amnesty Group at CTI

I’ve noticed that several students in our class are former members of Amnesty Student Groups and others are quite concerned about human rights. So, we could use the experience of some and the enthusiasm of others to launch the first Amnesty Group at CTI.

Amnesty International Mauritius Section (AIMS) requires a minimum of 5 members to register a group but past experience makes me believe that there should be about 20-25 volunteers for the group to function properly. In Mauritius, at the university level there’s only one Amnesty Group known as the Amnesty Campus Team (ACT) which has been set up by students from the University of Mauritius. I think that if we launch our group, we will soon outpace them.

I wish to point out that I’ve been a member and activist of AI since 2007. I’ve participated in and organised lots of activities. I was the President of the RCPL Amnesty Club during 2008. After leaving school, I’ve joined the Youth Coordination of AIMS and I’ve been on internship for 3 months at the Section. Last March, I was elected in the Accountability Control Committee (ACC) for 2009/2010 at the AGM of AIMS and I’m in constant contact with the Section. So, it won’t be difficult for us to register our group.

All those who wish be a member of an Amnesty Group at CTI contact me!

5 comments:

  1. I want to outline than sheik is more than qualified to set up this group and to make activities. If the members are active enough everyone will gain tremendous knowledge.

    Furthermore, it will be another good point to write in your CV.

    Well am interested Waz. We can work together as in the past. This time I will be on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a great idea. I didn't know about these groups and their activities but I am pretty keen to go for this new experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before creating the group, it would have been better to brief the whole class about Amnesty International, its mission & vision, its activities...This might motivate most,if not all, students in our class to become member.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This initiative will be beneficial for all of us. Infact, I admire the job Amnesty International is doing by defending human rights worldwide and promoting equality among people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, to set up the group at CTI I need to have the approval of the Student Union. Now that the Executives of the SU have been elected, I've to talk with them and obtain a positive result.

    ReplyDelete